Sunday, April 4, 2010

Playing Catch-up

I'm not so consistent with email, blogging, etc. during the weekend, which will explain why I have not been listing my favorites the past couple days. SO, here they are:

Friday, April 2 - The Cello
I went to a wonderful Easter concert on Friday night and was particularly struck by the beauty of the cello. I grew up playing the violin in my school orchestra. It was a great experience. My orchestra teacher had unfailing patience for squeaky strings and unruly kids. He loved music and this love translated to us. But if I could go back and do it all again, I'd pick the cello for sure. The cello has so much depth, breadth, and emotion. The low notes soulful and passionate and the high notes are beautiful and pleading. Yes, the cello is one of my favorite things.

Saturday, April 3 - Sophie's pigtails
I love to see little girls with pigtails and I happen to think that Sophie's pigtails are just about perfect. Seeing her little pigtails makes me happy. She has this fluffy, sort of curly blond hair, and in pigtails, her hair forms these sweet little puffs of cuteness. They seem to completely fit her delightful and happy personality.


Sunday, April 4 - Blue
Last night we dyed Easter eggs. As I looked at the bright colors in the carton when we were finished, I was most drawn to the pale blue egg. Those who have known me for a long time, know that I love the color blue. When I was a child, my favorite color was pink. I remember looking in my closet and realizing that everything was pink. I come from a long line of pink lovers. My mom and my grandma LOVE pink. Somewhere in between childhood and my teen years, I decided I liked blue the best. But after awhile, I grew tired of loving blue. I felt like I needed more variety, and I started experimenting. The winter after Matt and I were first married I went through a major red phase. I bought two pair of red shoes, two red sweaters, a red shirt, a red skirt, and some really snazzy red pants. A couple years after that, I latched on to green. Not grass green, but somewhere in between apple, spring, and lime green. (I need to get out my 64 pack of Crayolas!) But now that I'm almost thirty, I think I know now that blue speaks to me more than any other color, as much as I still love the others. I love blue in all of its shades: navy, periwinkle, sky, robin's egg . . . I love the blue of the sky, the blue of the sea, the blue of my jeans, the blue of Matt's eyes. Blue is fresh and clean. So there you have it. My ode to blue.


And finally, a happy Easter pic from today:

5 comments:

Steph said...

Very cute. Your girls are darling in their Easter outfits.

Ann said...

Emmy and Sophie look darling!

Rachel said...

I've always thought of you as a periwinkle person. Why is that?

I love the cello as well. You MUST listen, though, to Edgar Meyer's Unaccompanied Cello Suites by Bach, which he plays on the string bass. One of my favorite albums. So rich and beautiful. I don't know how he makes noises like that come out of a bass. Beautiful.

Katie said...

Rachel - Periwinkle is one of my favorite shades of blue - that is probably why.

I just added the album to my cart on Amazon. I always trust your taste.

Roxane said...

I love seeing your girls in their Easter dresses! They are adorable! I also love, love, love the cello!