Saturday, April 24, 2010

30th Year - Off to a Great Start!


I am 30 years, two weeks, and one day old. I can't continue blogging without mentioning that my birthday was beyond-my-imagination. Matt and some of my closest friends threw the most perfect Katie party - just brimming with my favorite things, most especially, love and laughter. We had a tasty dinner followed by some really creative and hilarious skits that had everyone in stitches. They even solicited my family and friends who couldn't be there to write memories that were then read to me at the party. Everything added up to a perfect way to start a new decade.


The biggest surprise of the night was when Matt transformed into a rock star and put his whole heart and soul into the performance of his life. You probably know that Matt does not like to perform. He does not like to be the center of attention. He would tell you himself that he can't sing and he can't dance. (Although I love his singing and his dancing). But, Matt knows how much I enjoy the performing arts, and he knows how I love to laugh. So, he spent hours writing lyrics, practicing his dance moves, and getting tips on his singing. When his shining moment arrived, he was unrecognizable--not just because he was dressed for the part, but because he was completely in character and he took the whole thing so seriously, despite everyone in the room laughing hysterically. What a thrill! He honestly touched my heart, and despite the hilarity of it all, I almost found myself crying because I knew how much love he put into everything. I am so lucky to be married to this guy!



Not only was I touched by Matt, but I was so touched by all of my sweet friends who created a night that was truly special. Everything was so thoughtful, so from the heart. By the end, I was completely overwhelmed and wished I'd had the words to express how much everything meant to me.


Strawberry shortcake is one of my all-time favorite things, and not only was this cake gorgeous, but it was the best strawberry shortcake I have EVER HAD!


4 comments:

Roxane said...

Oh my, your post made me smile. I wish I could have been there to see everything for your birthday party! You look so pretty too! I hope you video-taped your the rock star's performance.

Rachel said...

Well, I am just way too behind the times! I was reading your build-up to your birthday and then somehow missed the big event! So sorry!

So, happy late birthday! That really does look like the perfect fete for you. You look totally radiant--although I have my suspicions that you look like that most of the time. Happy day!

Steph said...

You got great calves girl. Glad you had a nice birthday.

Suzi said...

We had such a great time celebrating with you! It was a perfect Katie party! Welcome to the 30's club!