Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Anne of Green Gables

Warning: this post is not worthy of Anne. I wish I had the time to reread the book right now so that I could really do justice to how wonderful the Anne series is. But alas, I am tired. My kitchen is still a mess. And so I will resort to glossing over the surface. Because really, I can't list my favorites without mentioning Anne. So this will have to do.



Oh how I love Anne of Green Gables. Anne is a part of me. My mom gave me a wonderful gift when she started reading Anne to me in her bed one night when my dad was out of town. I became so engrossed in the story that I could no longer wait for opportunities for her to read to me, but I just had to finish the book myself. I loved it, and all of the books that followed. I also loved the movies, and would often watch them on days when I was sick.

The year I turned 27, my sweet girlfriends had an "Anne of Green Gables" brunch in my honor. We sat in a beautiful flower garden, eating delicious food, and drinking raspberry cordial. It was one of my favorite birthdays.

I love Anne because she is an original. She comes to Avonlea and is completely different from all of the other girls. The town is suspicious, judgmental, and harsh on her appearance, mannerisms, and behavior. Slowly, though, they grow to love her. I love that she is always true to herself, and even though she grows out of many of her idiosyncrasies, she holds on tightly to who she is.

I also love Marilla. I thrill as her cold heart is slowly warmed over. I love Matthew's quiet but fierce love for his Anne-girl. I love that Diana is a true friend to Anne, even though at first Anne is a social outcast. I love Gilbert - his patience, the way he loves Anne despite her flaws, and that he sees her spark from the beginning.

Here are a few Anne quotes, just to whet your appetite:

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we know all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?"

"When I left Queen's my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does. It has a fascination of its own, that bend, Marilla."

"I'm not a bit changed--not really. I'm only just pruned down and branched out. The real ME--back here--is just the same."

"Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds."

"True friends are always together in spirit. "

"Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world."

"It's not what the world holds for you, it's what you bring to it."


Who can resist a love story like theirs? I've always loved the look on Gilbert's face here - the sweet satisfaction of finally getting what he's always wanted . . .

yes, I know . . .
I am a hopeless romantic.

3 comments:

Ann said...

loved this entry!

Steph said...

I love Anne of Green Gables too!!! And in fact, I just reread the last book in the series Rilla of Ingleside just because I needed something light and happy. Wish I could have been at your birthday party. You definitely remind me of Anne--the eternal optimistic with a vocabulary to match. Love you Katie!

Amber said...

ugh - my FAV. Of course. Sam bought me the DVD set with all the movies for Christmas last year...he hates when I watch them but bought them for me anyway. :) That's true love...