Thursday, April 8, 2010

Last Day in My Twenties

Today I said goodbye to my twenties. Luckily, I'm not too sentimental about it. When I turned 20, I did tear up a little, feeling sorry to no longer be a teenager. When I graduated from sixth grade, I sobbed. Now, I feel a little wistful, but I also look forward to my thirties. I know myself so much more than I did a decade ago. I have made progress. I've spent my life wanting to hold on to my youth, but now, I will "grow up" as a good friend recently advised me, and I will enter this decade with an open heart.

You would think I would do some last minute crazy things on this day, to squeeze that last wild ride into my twenties. Instead, I took my kids to the park. I cleaned my room. I cleaned up several yogurt spills. I read stories. I ate a berry smoothie and a banana crunch muffin for lunch. I bought a new dresser for the girls' room off of Craig's list. I celebrated a friend's birthday at Pinkberry. I came home to flowers and an out of sorts, screaming toddler and I rocked her until she fell asleep in my arms.

And so my friends, as I peruse the list above - this list of ordinary things - I realize that the life I am living is full of my favorites. Every. Day. There are favorites around me. And if I wouldn't have taken a moment to think about my day, this beautiful fact would have escaped me and I would have collapsed in my bed--tired, and sad that when I wake up in the morning, my house will still be a mess. Instead, I will go to bed grateful. Grateful for a beautiful day at the park, the delicious food, the sisterhood of girlfriends, the sweetness of two little girls nestled on either side of my growing belly, the husband who thought to bring flowers.

These are just a few more of my favorite things.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Happy Birthday! The thirties are a good decade.

Suzi said...

Happiest birthday wishes to my friend! It's going to be a great day and a great decade! You are wonderful.

Anne Greacen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J said...

Happy Birthday Katie! Your post made me cry! What a great day and a perfectly positive attitude as always! :)

Roxane said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!!