That's right. I have 10 days left in my twenties. Wow.
So to build up to a bright and beautiful new decade, I will be posting random favorite things of mine. I say random, because I will simply post something that comes to my mind that I love. I don't have the mental space to do an actual top 10 favorites in my lifetime list. No, these will just be random favorites.
For today, I will give you some of my favorite lyrics to one of my favorite musicals (and favorite books) - Les Miserables. I fell in love with Les Mis when I was a teenager. I believe it was Heather who introduced me to the music. I then read and loved the book. My parents took me to see the musical in Cincinnati, and then when my family lived in Germany, we got to see it in London where we had really great seats. By the end, I was bawling. Jenny gave me the piano music for my birthday one year, and I spent many hours at the piano pretending I had the voice of Eponine or Cosette.These are lyrics from the finale: (you can watch the video if you click on the link)
CHORUS
Do you hear the people sing
Lost in the valley of the night?
It is the music of a people
Who are climbing to the light.
For the wretched of the earth
There is a flame that never dies.
Even the darkest night will end
And the sun will rise.
They will live again in freedom
In the garden of the Lord.
They will walk behind the plough-share,
They will put away the sword.
The chain will be broken
And all men will have their reward.
Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Somewhere beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?
Do you hear the people sing?
Say, do you hear the distant drums?
It is the future that they bring
When tomorrow comes!
Tomorrow comes!
I love these final lyrics because they are filled with such hope. There is such a wonderful feeling of redemption, strength, and unity. I love the image of people climbing to the light. Because aren't we all?
5 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment