Friday, August 12, 2011

Summer Recipes

In Summer 2009, I posted a list of my favorite summer recipes over the years.  Last Summer, I'd just had Ryan, so I forgot to post the winning recipe.  So here we have 2010 and 2011 for your own enjoyment:

Best of Summer 2010

Spicy Honey Chicken Salad - I have made this recipe from Our Best Bites several times, and each time I cannot get enough! This is definitely my favorite salad, ever.  Spicy honey chicken paired with mango, avocado, and a citrus vinaigrette.  Mmm.

We also loved eating our own hand-packed hamburgers (thanks for the reminder, Suzi!).  These are super easy and delicious.  Just get ground beef, mix in some garlic,  Worchestershire, soy sauce, pepper, and green onions and you get a nice juicy burger. 

Another favorite was orange sorbet made with fresh squeezed oranges.  We loved eating with with a small scoop of creamy vanilla.  The two together are like the best and tastiest version of an orange dream pop you've ever had. 

Best of Summer 2011

This summer I have made lots of fruit crisps.  They've all been delicious - but my favorite comes from Ina Garten (of course!).  I've made her Peach and Raspberry Crisp twice this summer and both times have not been able to stop myself from scraping the sides of the dish.  The second time I added less peaches and quadrupled the raspberries - I liked it with more berries better.  And here you go:


Peach and Raspberry Crisp

Ingredients


  • 4 to 5 pounds firm, ripe peaches (10 to 12 large peaches)
  • 1 orange, zested
  • 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 1/2 cups plus 2 to 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 pint raspberries
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
  • 1/2 pound cold unsalted butter, diced

Directions


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the inside of a 10 by 15 by 2 1/2-inch oval baking dish.

Immerse the peaches in boiling water for 30 seconds, then place them in cold water. Peel the peaches and slice them into thick wedges and place them into a large bowl. Add the orange zest, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons of flour. Toss well. Gently mix in the raspberries. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes. If there is a lot of liquid, add 1 more tablespoon of flour. Pour the peaches into the baking dish and gently smooth the top.

Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, salt, oatmeal, and the cold, diced butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the butter is pea-sized and the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle evenly on top of the peaches and raspberries. Bake for 1 hour, until the top is browned and crisp and the juices are bubbly. Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator and reheat in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until warm.

3 comments:

Ann said...

And just don't forget who introduced that recipe to you while you were recovering from birthing the little king!

Suzi said...

Katie, you make summer so fun! I was just thinking about that fruit crisp from last night... Yum!

You should also include your burger recipe! Those are the best!

Rachel said...

They both sound so great... especially the crisp. Yum!