Thursday, May 29, 2014

Life just doesn't get much better

I don't cry very often, but you can always count on me shedding a few tears at the end of each school year.  I am moved by hard-working, children-loving teachers who put their hearts into their job day after day - year after year - growing to love each new class and then saying goodbye again. Kindergarten is magical - so I am particularly sad that the year has come to a close for Sophie.

Despite the sad goodbyes, the last day of school is also one of my favorite days.  The summer in all of it's glory lies ahead of us.  We have so much to look forward to, so much to be grateful for.  I have declared this to be a summer of gratitude.  I love Thanksgiving - but my heart is always happiest in the summer, when I can wear skirts and flip flops, when we can hop in the car and head to the beach, when we enjoy fresh berries and tomatoes, peaches and watermelon.  Lazy afternoons at the pool, books to read -- more time for kids to be kids.

We started off with a bang today - the kids played with friends at the pool from 3 until after 7.  Then with windows down, we followed the sunset to the Farmer's Market where we arrived just in time for the last shaved ice treats of the night.  Blue-tongued kids sat on the curb listening as the street musician ended the night with James Taylor tunes.  On the way home, hair blowing in the wind, Emmy and Sophie sat side by side and sang their hearts out.

I recently saw the movie The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - and in the movie a photographer goes to quite a bit of effort to take a picture of the elusive snow leopard.  When the animal finally makes his appearance and the photographer has the perfect shot he doesn't snap the picture.  When asked why, he explains that some moments are so perfect he just wants to soak them in.  That is how I felt this evening watching my girls sing in the car and that is how I felt watching toothless Sophie beam from the stage last night (though in that case, I couldn't help but snap pictures).

Sophie in African clothing as part of her Kindergarten celebration performance

In this picture Will is pointing at a dog - he has just started to notice them and will say "Dah" and pant like a dog when he sees one - isn't he adorable?
 
Nothing like 3 and 4 year olds doing a little graduation in bathing suits

My summer birthday girl shared Drumsticks with her class today

These girls hopped back and forth from the pool to the Rainbow Loom - here Emmy is showing off two original creations - a butterfly and a mermaid!

Farmer's Market shaved ice - Welcome Summer

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is another picture I display life size in my home. I have this picture on display in my living room. It is very exciting to come home from a hard day at work, or wake up in the morning and see a handsome good looking girl like this life size where she appears to be directly in front of me and looks as though I can touch her!

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEig9hJwmWmy1b5bl4YnUz02-y9dQHDO6z_nLorBxxFRTt1s1J5SCLow1BlW6dU3mhjT_a6v5Q59CkJtRHKX9wAwkSB9Tc_YZoCqZDAzz5sz9gQdtYJ8qIU9KjHr6UeyCMLHVgBzP9RMPgD4/s0/IMG_6859.JPG