Monday, March 10, 2014

For Will - on the occasion of your 1st birthday



the surprise of you
took my breath away -
i’d forgotten for a minute
it was your day

the perfection of you,
every crease and fold,
each change of expression
will never grow old

the joy of you,
as you laugh yourself to sleep
and giggle when I kiss your eyes,
I will always keep

the glow of you,
smiles that shine,
my sunrise in the mornings,
how is it you are mine?

the newness of you,
though it changes every day,
keeps me marveling,
and will never fade away



3 comments:

Amy said...

I can't believe it's already been a year! Happy Birthday Will!

Ashley Lund said...

I love this poem! So perfect. I can't believe how red his hair is!! I love it! And I love his birthday shirt!

Laurel said...

I love the things you write, Katie! You have a talent. It's hard to believe Will is already 1. Happy Birthday, darling boy!