Thursday, July 12, 2012

What a Dad!

There is the old stereotype that Dads get to have all of the fun.  Somehow, we moms can't quite turn off our brains long enough to live in the moment - the clock is ticking, always ticking, and the list of things to get done is unending.  This stereotype often rings true at our house.  I would say that Matt hardly ever even knows what time it is.  The minute he walks in the door, a great celebration ensues, and all is well in the world . . . that is, until I glance at the clock and start dictating dinner, bathtime, storytime, and bed.

Sometimes, I resent this.  Sometimes, I wish I could just play with the kids - bounce them on the bed at bedtime without even having the thought that they are getting more and more riled up and will have a difficult time falling asleep.  But really, I am grateful.  My kids are so lucky that their dad loves to play with them.  He adores them.  The other day I walked by the room to see Matt squeezing Ryan and saying, "ooooh, I LOVE you!!"  I couldn't ask for anything more.

And even though Matt has a lot of fun and can be quite carefree.  I have to give him credit for this: when we are with friends, wherever it may be, Matt pretty much takes over parenting duties so that I can sit and enjoy talking with my girlfriends.  And when I ask him for an evening or a day off, even multiple evenings or days in a row, he NEVER hesitates to say, "go! have fun!"

It all equals out.  I adore Matt - he is just the right dad for our kids, and just the right guy for me.

Father's Day Festivities

1 comment:

Ann said...

I am so grateful that Matt is a wonderful loving father and husband to our beloved grandchldren and daughter, we couldn't ask for a better guy.

I am also grateful for the wonderful son-in-law he is...he is always supportive in you visiting us, seems happy when he is around us, and gratefully eats my food...we are truly blessed!