5 months ago
Saturday, December 24, 2011
It's almost Christmas
Merry Christmas!
I have so much to be grateful for - most especially, the three little people in my life. Despite their arguing, mess-making, complaining, crying-in-the-middle-of-the-night, begging, and not eating their food, I adore them. Matt does too.
Here is a peek into my week:
Yesterday, I noticed that the house was particularly quiet, which usually means that someone is emptying laundry detergent, scoop by scoop on the floor or smearing toothpaste in his or her hair. This time, I crept down the hall and peeked into Ryan’s room. And there he was, sitting quietly on the rocking chair, turning the pages of a storybook. He looked up at me, smiled, and satisfied with himself, went back to his “reading.”
A few nights ago, one hour after I’d put Emmy to bed, she came meandering into my room. She’s six years old, and she still hasn’t accepted that she must go to bed every night. When I mention it is bedtime, it is as if I am announcing that I ate all of her Halloween candy (if you haven’t already, check out Jimmy Kimmel’s Halloween prank on youtube). So usually when Emmy comes out of her room, my mean mommy voice instructs her to get back to bed. Immediately. But on this night, I greeted her with a smile and told her to come snuggle up with me for a minute. Her eyes lit up and she pretty much leapt into my lap and situated herself in the crook of my arm, just as cozy as can be. It was deliciously sweet to enjoy her for a few stolen minutes–to have her all to myself–sweet enough to make up for all of the resisting and complaining she did when I finally told her she needed to hop to bed.
On Thursday, I hosted a small party for the children and mothers in Sophie’s preschool playgroup. As a part of the program, the children presented their mothers with Christmas gifts we had created on the previous day. The gift was simple: a decorated card and a coupon that entitles the receiver to an act of service of his or her choice. When it was time for them to give us the presents, I didn’t think much of it. After all, I knew what it was. I had helped Sophie make it. I’d even wrapped it for her. But when she handed me my present, she looked as if she were handing me the world. And really, she was. What could be more precious than her giant smile and shining eyes? And when I opened it and thanked her, she threw her arms around my neck and held on tight. How could I want anything more than that?
Tomorrow is Christmas morning. I am so excited to share it with these three sweet little things. And of course, to enjoy the day with Matt - who really is about the sweetest husband a girl could ask for.
Merry Christmas.
P.S. I'm sorry this all blends together with no paragraphs! I copied and pasted from Word and this is what happened. And I want to go to bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Such a tender post! I had to laugh about the "mean mommy" voice when Emmy comes out of her room. I'm always teasing Jeremy about something similar. Since we had Cole, I am nearly always nursing him when the kids' bedtime comes, so Jeremy does the bulk of the bedtime work. Whenever he leaves their room, it sounds something like this:
"I love you both! Have sweet dreams! DO NOT COME OF THIS ROOM! I love you! Have a good rest! I DO NOT WANT YOU TO COME OUT OF THIS ROOM! Good night! I love you!"
So funny. Of course, I do the same thing when it's my turn to put them to bed, but it's really funny to listen to.
Post a Comment