Monday, October 10, 2011

I Love My Grandpa Dickson


My grandma is very musical.  She loves to sing and sings all the time.  She sings solos, she composes songs.  I have enjoyed hearing her sing many times throughout my life.  My grandpa, on the other hand, is not so musically inclined, although he certainly appreciates music and admires my grandma’s talent.  One Sunday, somewhere in my teenage years, I sat by my grandpa at church and we sang the hymn, “Scatter Sunshine.”  I can still remember his voice, already feeble with age and a little off-key.  But as I heard him sing, I was deeply touched.  He sang with enthusiasm, with spirit.  He sang out, and he meant what he sang.


This past July, my Grandpa Dickson died. He was almost 92. Even though he lived a wonderful and long life, it was still sad to say goodbye. I had the chance to sit with him for a little while about a week before he died. He could not see or speak, but I was told he could hear me. I am glad I had the chance to tell him I love him and to give him a hug and a kiss. 

Grandpa Dickson always called me "Katie B from over the sea."  He was full of jokes and compliments.  He liked to draw watches around my wrist.    One day, when I was very young, I showed him a new wallet.  He inspected it and then put in a crisp dollar bill.  This might have been the first dollar bill I'd ever had.  I felt very rich.  

I still feel rich when I think of the legacy he has left for me.  He loved the Lord.  He always wanted to do the right thing.  He was kind.  He was a hard worker and a loving father and grandfather.  I will miss him.



3 comments:

Ann said...

He sure loved you too!

Jo Ann Steiger said...

He sounds like a great man who loved his family and stayed faithful to the end. I wish I could have known him.

Rachel said...

Such a wonderful tribute! Thanks for writing it.