Monday, August 30, 2010

I'm a REAL Mom



I know I became a real mom on the day Emmy was born, just a little over five years ago. But that first year or so felt like a honeymoon. And then we had Sophie - and she was such an easygoing, happy baby that life still felt small. I could pretty much go wherever I wanted, when I wanted, and two kids felt like something I could handle. I have two hands that they can each hold on to. I have a double stroller that they fit nicely in.

I look back on the last five years and realize that it will be a long time before I have that kind of flexibility again.

We've left the bubble and are entering the real world. Not only do I know have three kids and still only two hands, but ONE of those kids is in KINDERGARTEN! Wow. I am now one of those moms I used to look at and pity that they couldn't just hop on over to the beach because their kid(s) was in school. We're a part of the system now. Emmy's name is on a list.

The first day of school was a more difficult day than I thought it would be. Emmy was nervous. Her two good friends were placed in the other class and she didn't know a soul. She cried, I had to drag her in, and when I picked her up she announced that she didn't want to go tomorrow, but maybe the day after that. Thankfully, a week later, things are looking up. Today she announced that she had the best day ever. She's making friends, she's happy with the projects they are working on, she is excited to learn to read. Kindergarten is a good thing.

But I can't help but feel nostalgic for our more carefree, unscheduled days. Time goes by so quickly -- all we can do is enjoy where we are, when we're there, because it won't be long before we're somewhere else.



(A poor, sad Emmy waving good-bye to me on that first day. She about broke my heart!)

3 comments:

Heather said...

How cute! Chloe had her first day today. She cried too and held on to my shirt soooo tight, I had to pry her off. But she had fun. It feels really weird, I can't believe we have 5 yr olds!!!! I was thinking I really need to schedule a trip out to see you and bring Chloe with me. So be thinking of when you would feel up for that! :)

Holly said...

Oh Katie. I'm sad that you have joined the "system" but happy that you and I are in it together. I still feel sad that Jack and Emmy didn't get in the same class. I love what you said about enjoying the time that we are in. Well said. I needed to be reminded of that.

Gourley Family said...

Welcome to school aged kids! It gets better! Ryan is such a cutie! So fun to watch your family grow!