Because of Ina, I dream of traveling to the Hamptons. I imagine what it would be like to be friends with the local butcher who would give me the best cuts of meat and prepare them to my liking. I imagine strolling to Iacano's chicken farm and walking out to my large garden where I snip fresh herbs and beautiful flowers for the table. I envision a life of gourmet barbeques on the beach. But because of Ina, I see food in a more beautiful, tasteful, and delicious light, and I realize that I don't need to travel to the Hamptons to live luxiouriously. Most of her recipes are accessible and fairly simple. I say most, because some of the recipes are way out of my league in difficulty and cost.
Besides my mother (who is a fabulous chef in her own right), everything I've learned about cooking, I have learned from the Barefoot Contessa. Here are just a few pointers:
Butter, butter, butter - there is no substitute
Ingredients to always have on hand: olive oil, lemon juice, and parmesan cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper make a difference
Great cooking does not have to be complicated
Use the fruits and vegetables that are in season
Roasting vegetables at a high temperature with olive oil, salt, and pepper
And, if you feel inspired to cook, here are some of my favorite recipes. You can find most of them on the Food Network's website. (www.foodtv.com)
Chicken Stew with Biscuits
Chocolate Mousse
Parmesan Chicken
Orzo with Roasted Vegetables
Cheddar Corn Chowder
Mexican Chicken Soup
Parker's Fish n Chips
Broccoli and Bow Ties
Sagaponack Corn Pudding
String Beans with Shallots
Lasagna with Turkey Sausage
Pasta with Sun-dried Tomatoes
Curried Chicken Salad
Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
Banana Crunch Muffins
Pan-Fried Onion Dip
Mixed Berry Pavlova
Caesar Club Sandwich
Ice Cream Sodas
And so on this Monday morning, as my kids strangely play happily together in the play room, thanks to Ina, I feel excited about the prospect of cooking. I think after this, I'll plan out my menu for the week and dream of more recipes to try. But if you see me wearing over-sized, button-up blue shirts and hear me asking rhetorical questions like "Who wouldn't love that?" all the time, then I have taken my love for Ina too far.
A trip down memory lane with Ina:

This is Ina's roasted chicken. She makes it for her husband, Jeffrey, on Friday nights when he comes home from teaching his business classes at Yale. I made it for Thanksgiving for Matt and I in 2003. I decided to try out a small bird before tackling a turkey. It was yummy!
This Flag Cake has become something of a 4th of July tradition! The cake is moist, the cream cheese frosting is amazing, and the fresh berries make it extra special.
This was a fabulous meal I just tried out in March of this year. The meat in the middle is a pork tenderloin with a fennel, garlic, lemon, and rosemary rub. (Notice the lemon and rosemary garnish. I learned from Ina that the garnish should always give the guests a hint of what flavors to expect in the food). We also had a Potato Gratin that included gruyere cheese as a key ingredient. We finished the meal off with Carmel Pecan Sundaes. Are you hungry yet?
2 comments:
where was I for the pork dinner? That looks amazing! I love your post. You are a great writer Katie. I was laughing and wishing I had a relationship with Ina like you do :)
I can't believe I missed this post! Thanks for telling me about it today... I love Ina! She has really informed my cooking. And I love that all of her cookbooks are dedicated to her Jeffrey.
Post a Comment