Thursday, February 5, 2009

Random Musings on a Thursday Night

I should be in bed, but I'm enjoying some peaceful, mind-numbing time at the computer. I just went to a beautiful baby shower tonight. The food was delicious, and artfully displayed, complete with a posted menu describing all of the gourmet foods we'd be dining on. Every time I think I might be catching up to my fellow Palo Alto people, I go to an event like this, and think, 'wow, I'm still just a baby.' Anyway, it was a lot of fun. And in the middle of the shower, I couldn't help but think and marvel at my little Sophie who I am in love with. I love everyone in my family, of course, but I am in love with Sophie right now, who is just KILLING me with her cuteness.

For example:

She taught herself to say thank you about a month ago. All of a sudden, I realized that when I give her things, she says, quite cheerfully, "dee doo."

She's finally walking (see video) and she's so proud and smiley and happy about it.

She's invited the "ni-ni" game, which involves laying down, saying "ni-ni" and trying to pretend to close her eyes. When she does this, I melt like butter. She even asks to go "ni-ni" and last night I walked by her bedroom about 30 minutes after I'd put her to bed, and could hear her saying softly to herself, "ni-ni . . . ni-ni" Seriously, this girl is the sweetiest of sweeties.

While I'm melting over Sophie, I'm cracking up at Emmy.

For example:

She loves the song "Puff the Magic Dragon" and cried at the part where Jackie Paper doesn't visit Puff anymore and he "slips sadly in his cave."

She's afraid of being old and having to take "yucky medicine." (We've been visiting Grandma Martin at the nursing home a lot lately.) She'll say to me, "Mommy, okay, let's list the people who are old." After this short list is enumerated, she will emphasize how she does not want either of us to get old.

Today we were listening to music and some of the lyrics were, "where does the wind blow." She said, so thoughtfully, "where DOES the wind blow, Mommy?" I said, "everywhere." She said, "but where does it go at night time?"

She was hugging and kissing Sophie a little too aggressively today and I asked her to stop. She said, "but Mommy, I love her!" Poor thing, she really does love her. She just can't figure out how to love her.

She was at a friend's house and asked her friend's mom to call me and tell me not to come yet.

Although she mostly pronounces her "r's" and "l's", every once in a while, she forgets and says something like "weewee" for "really"

And, now that I've had some time to unwind and muse, I'm going to have to do something about the kitchen - which might just be a little too depressing to wake up to in the morning.

3 comments:

Amber said...

Katie - this might have been my fav blog post to date. So fun to have a little insight into your days and your gorgeous girls. Loved it.

Anonymous said...

Were dad and I on her list of "oldies"?

Katie said...

Amber - thanks!! Which Amber are you? I have a couple blogging Amber friends . . . :)

Mom - no, you and dad are not oldies, phew!