Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day

Whew! What a morning! Somehow I managed to scrape together a happy valentine's breakfast for the kiddos (thanks to frozen abelskiver's from Trader Joe's which taste pretty much as good as homemade ones!) and now I'm taking a breather before I attack the dishes - we still have some left over from last night's dinner.

Matt takes Emmy to school in the mornings and about thirty minutes after he'd left, he realized he'd forgotten something, so he came home to get it. And this is the scene he came upon:

Me still in pajamas, using the restroom, getting a bath ready for Sophie while she stood at my feet peeling her clothes off, while also holding Ryan in my lap trying to grab anything he can.

Not the most romantic picture for your sweetheart to stumble upon, but he smiled and said something about how amazing it was that I could be doing three things at once. "This is motherhood," I said and was even a teensy bit sad that it would be too weird to take a picture of myself in that moment.

Romance takes on a new meaning when your life is full of baby food and finding bugs and learning to read. Romance to me was when last night I was too exhausted to do anything but sit in bed and Matt brought me an ice cream sundae, then brought me my tooth brush, a cup to spit in, a glass of water, my contact lens case, and then tucked me in for the night at 9:30.

So there you go - a sink full of dishes, a five year old who threw a tantrum this morning because I put the powdered sugar on her plate before she could do it herself, and a lot of laundry. But I'm happy and in love with my very own valentine.

It's going to be a great day.

3 comments:

Roxane said...

I love reading about your days with your cute little kids. Your writing always makes me smile! Heather is so excited to see you guys!

Jo Ann Steiger said...

I'm glad that Matt was impressed with your multi-tasking!

Rachel said...

Love it! Such a great portrait of life.