This has been a big summer for Sophie. First of all, she was potty-trained in late May - just in time for us to enjoy one month without diapers. She was an absolute dream to potty train. No accidents the first day, and only a few in the following weeks. We celebrated her "big girl" status by taking her to Baskin Robbins. She was very pleased with herself, and her little bottom looked even more itsy bitsy without the padding of her diaper.
In June, she lost her status as the baby of the family and became a big sister. Suddenly, even though she is a waif, she seemed more substantial, taller, and older. She was proud to be a big sister, and has adjusted fairly well to Ryan's reign as littlest.
We gave her a little break in July and August, but this month, we finally nipped her binky habit in the bud. Yes, true confessions here, my almost-three-year-old still had her binky. I couldn't bring myself to take it away from her before, because she just loved it so much. She was only allowed to have it in her bed, therefore, she was a delightful little sleeper. She was always happy to go to bed and would often linger in her crib in the mornings. I hated to disrupt her (and our) happy nighttime and naptime. So, on the last day of her binky-sucking, we had a party in her honor. We watched Dora and ate popcorn. We all told her what we love about her. We showed her a slideshow of pictures, showing her how much she has grown up.
And then, we attached her binky to helium balloons and released it into the sky. (Actually, the binky ended up being too heavy, so Matt surreptitiously snipped the binky off and threw it in the trash - but don't tell Sophie and Emmy that. They think that maybe a needy baby in Africa is enjoying some sucking time.) Although she enjoyed all of the hoopla, when it came down to it, she was very sad to go to bed without it, and hasn't been sleeping as well since.
And now, our goal for October is . . . transitioning to her "big girl bed." This girl LOVES her crib. She says it keeps her safe, and she often goes in there and reads books or plays with her dolls. It really is her little refuge, and any time she is sad or needs space, she asks me to put her in her crib. Whenever we ask her if she wants to sleep in her big bed, she says, "tomorrow." I'm hoping tomorrow comes before the top of Ryan's head and the tips of his toes are touching either side of his bassinet. We have a little time.
Anyway - we LOVE our little Sophie girl. In fact, the other day I said, "I love my Sophie girl." And she said, "I love my mommy girl." She is very interested in bugs right now, especially roly polies. The other day an ant was crawling on her arm and she said, "He is my helper. I let him crawl on me." I also enjoyed how she explained her most recent ailment to me by saying, "My big momma toe hurts."
What a cutie. I adore her.
2 comments:
Sweet Sophie! I cannot believe how big she is getting! This is such a sweet post and you are such a good momma! :)
Love this post. I read it more than once! Also loved the inspiration for the ridding of the binkie...it's about that time at our house too. Luckily, Henry sleeps in his big boy bed, but is far from potty trained. Oh, boys. :)
Post a Comment