Now that I have passed the 20-week mark with flying colors, it is now time to start discussing names. This time around, our discussion will be more complicated. We do not know if we are having a boy or a girl, nor will we know until the day that little cutie-pie makes his or her entrance into the world.
As many of you know, Matt and I are a pretty indecisive couple - and very indecisive when it comes to naming our children. My problem is that I like too many names and have a hard time narrowing down my list. Matt, on the other hand, is much pickier than I am. Here is a sample conversation between us:
Katie: Hey, Matt. Maybe we should start thinking about names. Do you have any ideas?
Matt: No, I haven't even thought about it. Maybe we should wait until the time gets closer before we talk about it.
Katie: But it might be nice if we didn't have to wait until the moment we leave the hospital to make a decision.
Matt: We have plenty of time.
So - you can see that even trying to talk about names can be a struggle for us. When we finally do have the conversation, this is usually how it goes:
Katie: Do you have any names that you like?
Matt: How about you tell me names and I tell you if I like them or not.
Katie: OK, how about Ivy.
Matt: No.
Katie: Megan?
Matt: Fine.
Katie: Noah.
Matt: No.
Katie: Ben
Matt: Fine.
Katie: Aren't there any names you like?
Matt: I like Emmy and Sophie.
Katie: Sorry, those are taken. Remember that you didn't really love those ones at first?
Matt: I didn't? Oh, I thought I did.
Katie: I think you said something like, "No," or "Fine."
Matt: Oh.
Basically, Matt's answers are limited to those two responses. Now, I don't want to make Matt out to be a dud. He's not. He is a lot of fun. But he does have a hard time with names. And now our work is doubled!
So, I would like to solicit you, my readership, for ideas. That's not to say that I don't have any. I do have some names that I really like (which I won't say yet.) But I would love some suggestions. At least so I can have the chance to say, "No," or "Fine." Or maybe even, "I LOVE it!"
5 months ago
13 comments:
Good boys names:
Luke
Arthur
Marty
Zack
It also happens to be a list of my favorite TV/Book/Movie characters...
Maybe just a simple letter like "D"
I like Clara and Jonathan. :) Actually, we almost named Jonathan Benjamin (Ben), so I do like that name. I also like Ellen (I might use that if I have another girl, although I have a gut feeling that our next--and probably last--baby will be another boy, and no, I'm not pregnant). I have always thought girls were easier to name than boys for some reason. This has not been very helpful... :) I'm excited to hear what you decide!
Hahaha, have you read this post?
http://tylerandbecca.blogspot.com/2009/01/rose-by-any-other-name.html
I LOVE Ivy. And Noah.
And Mason, Hudson, Asher, Luca, Truman, Preston...
And Kirsi, Olivia, Maya, Astyn, Meri...
so many names!
I think you know my faves... But it would be cool if you had a red-haired Maggie for me to borrow occasionally!
I love Suzanna, Jill, Gretchen, and Hannah
Boy names are harder for me. I don't like them to sound too trendy, but the old favorites are sometimes, well, boring (Mike, Matt would be two very nice names that are ubiquitous!) I like Anders and Niels, both of which sound very Scandinavian. I like Noah, and I like Levi, which I think is cute and original.
Feel free to say no to your heart's content! (Or fine)
Ha ha, sounds like my conversations with Jed! I love Ivy too, that is my cousins name and I have always loved it, and they also used April and Cole, and I love those too! I like Anders too like Allison. Speaking of names, I just saw that Mary has an Emmy as well! Did she know about your Emmy first? Or did you just think a like? Someone in our ward just named their baby Kenzli.
What about
Molly, Lizzie, Cohen, Tate,Ireland and Kennedy (that was my mom's suggestion) hmm I don't know!
My sister Ashley loved Megan and Tyler for names
Friends, friends - thank you for all of your great ideas! I am keeping a list. Feel free to keep 'em coming whenever inspiration strikes!!
Becca - I did not see that blog post - but it was hilarious.
Heather - So I think Mary forgot about my Emmy and just named her that on her own - and we really do think alike because her other little girl is Sofia. I guess I should just choose "Sam" if I have a boy since she and I have our names in common! (that is her son's name).
Rachel and Alison - I agree, girl's names are easier!
I like Kaylee for a girl's name and Kai for boy. Too bad for us, they don't begin with J's.
I also like Tate, but Sam told me you can't name a kid after a potato. (Tater Tot) So, I guess I can't recommend it. :)
Sam (Samuel) is a good one, and not just because I am married to one.
I will send other faves as they come...good luck!
Hi Katie,
I also like Avra
I know it might sound too different but for some reason I like it. By the way, I love your blog!
Hi Again,
I think it might be Ayvra or Avra. I think that is how I heard it. Have you ever heard that name before? I think it is a different take on Avery which I also like. Oh well there are lots of good names. I also heard Adeliede the other day and they call her Addie for short.
Post a Comment