I haven't written anything new in awhile - but I have five minutes (precious minutes!) to spare, and I'll write what comes to me.
Last week, Emmy's ballet class was canceled so I took the two girls to the Palo Alto Children's Library. I really love that library. They have an outdoor courtyard with beautiful trees and benches that are little kid-sized. We checked out some books and went outside to read. Maybe it was the crisp air, the idyllic surroundings, the greying air, the sweet eagerness of my children - but I felt so content there, reading aloud. We read "Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse" and "Lilly's Big Day," by Kevin Henkes. He is an author I have discovered recently that I really really like! For you children's book lovers out there - check out "Chrysanthemum" and "Jessica." Anyway, I got so into those books - and as silly as this sounds, I was brought to tears as I read them! Although these were little children's books about a spunky mouse, the feelings communicated were so real - so true that they captivated me. I love children's books.
And there it is, 6 minutes have passed. But I'll leave you with one sad thought. The other day while I was driving, Emmy asked me, out of the blue, "Mommy, do you ever laugh?" I asked her, "Do you think I do?" And she said, "No." Isn't that the most depressing conversation you've ever heard? Now, I know for certain that I do laugh, and that I laugh with her. But apparently, not often enough.
The goal? Laugh more.
(And perhaps after I laugh, I need to tell Emmy to make a note of it, so she doesn't forget.)
5 months ago
1 comment:
I love the book Chrysanthemum....it resonated with me, having grown up with a somewhat unusual name. I can just picture you reading that book with your girls.
And, I can't imagine that you don't laugh all the time with your girls....in fact, i can't imagine any significant amount of time with you without hearing you laugh. I think we need to talk on the phone again soon so I can hear that laugh!
Post a Comment