Thursday, September 10, 2009

Patience=Chocolate?

Yesterday while I waited to purchase a warm cinnamon bun at the IKEA cafeteria, I accidentally eavesdropped on the two ladies' conversation in front of me. One woman told the other that she and her husband had decided that they would use the word patience when they were really talking about chocolate. I might have missed a few key details from the conversation, but it seems to me, that their reason for doing this was so that their son wouldn't understand them when they were talking about eating chocolate.

I pondered on this.

And then I thought that this philosophy might work well for me as a technique for developing patience. Real patience that is. Whenever I find that my patience is being tried, I can say to myself, "I need patience." And then I can calmly walk to the privacy of my bedroom and eat a square of chocolate. I've decided that this would be a lot more fun and would probably work much better than the whole count to 10 theory. So from now on, whenever I need patience, what I really need, is chocolate. I think I'm on the road to becoming much more patient. I may also be on the road to gaining weight, but if that happens, I'll just think of a new word to substitute for patience. Like carrots, maybe, or exercise.

P.S. When writing this post, I could not for the life of me remember the word 'eavesdropping.' I first wrote 'nosedropping' but thought it sounded a little slimy. Then I thought it might be 'eardropping,' but it still didn't sound right. I finally arrived at 'eavesdropping' - phew!

4 comments:

Jo Ann Steiger said...

what word will you use for cinnamon bun?

Heather said...

Katie you really need to submit some of your writing to some magazines or something because it is really fun to read. Like real simple...you know how they always have contests and stuff. And by the way this is a great way to look at patience, I know I need LOTS more of it!! :)

J said...

I have to agree with Heather- I LOVE reading your blog! So, my patience is ice cream... and in the laundry room! ;) That's why we're running, right??!!

Rachel said...

Good strategy. I need to think of an appropriate motivator for me...